04-24-17 Orland Hills Home Fire 9200 Block of 162nd Street— Paul Joker (@oilfinder321) December 6, 2016
Drone Video of the fire in Orland Hills this afternoon, Monday April 24, 2017, courtesy of the Orland Fire Protection District. Permission granted to rebroadcast video segments for news reporting purposes. Two Orland Hills families were displaced by a fire this afternoon, Monday April 24. The Orland Fire District responded for a house fire in the 9200 block of 162nd St. at about 1:30 p.m. Orland Fire arrived on scene reporting two neighboring houses with fire showing through the roof of both. Firefighters quickly deployed multiple hose lines to control both fires. The fire originated outside at ground level between the houses and rapidly spread due to the siding and extended into the attics of both homes. There was extensive fire throughout both attics along with smoke and fire damage to the living areas of the homes. The fire did spread to the deck of a third home which was quickly extinguished by firefighters. Orland Fire was assisted by Tinley, Mokena, and Oak Forest firefighters on scene while the District was covered be several other local fire departments. The cause of the fire was determined to be discarded ashes from a fire pit placed in a plastic trash bin. A gas line supplying one of the homes had also melted due to the fire and was burning. NICORP was on the scene to control the flow of natural gas. There were no injuries and both homes are uninhabitable. Orland Fire would like to remind residents that ashes and coals from a fire pit may remain hot enough to start a fire for days after they appear extinguished. Wet down ashes in a fire pit when done and remove ash and coals into a metal bucket when it is cleaned out. Thoroughly wet the contents of the bucket and store it away from combustibles until removed on trash day.